White Bean, Bulgur, and Nectarine Salad
Try this as a cool side dish or a light lunch. You can substitute chickpeas or other beans for the white beans in the salad.
- ½ cup bulgur wheat
- 5 nectarines, pitted, cut into wedges, and thinly sliced
- 2 cups torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cooked cannellini or navy beans
- ¾ cup finely diced red onion
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.), optional
1. Cook bulgur according to package directions. Drain, cool, and transfer to large bowl.
2. Stir nectarines, basil, beans, onion, lemon juice, oil, and garlic (if using) into bulgur. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Chill 1 to 4 hours before serving.
September 2013 p.74