Whole-Wheat Ginger-Date Scones
Makes 8 scones
Dates, crystallized ginger, and allspice give these wholesome scones holiday flair. The scones freeze well; wrap them individually, and defrost as needed.
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar, plus 1 tsp. for sprinkling
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup (½ stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk, plus 2 tsp. for brushing
- ¾ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped crystallized ginger
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, 2 Tbs. sugar, baking powder, allspice, and salt in bowl. Work in butter using fingers until dough is grainy; stir in oil and buttermilk.
3. Place dough on well-floured work surface, and knead in dates and ginger.
4. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet, and pat into 8-inch circle. Brush dough with buttermilk, and sprinkle with 1 tsp. sugar. Cut into 8 wedges; separate wedges on baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
December 2011 p.57