Whole-Wheat Rotini with Wilted Mustard Greens
30 minutes or fewer
“More mustard greens!” That’s what the VT staff asked for when they tasted the first version of this recipe. Now it’s an even better source of vitamins C and E. Shaved Parmesan provides tryptophan, and canola oil offers omega-3s.
- 1 ½ lb. mustard greens, trimmed and coarsely chopped (9 cups)
- ½ lb. whole-wheat rotini pasta
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (4 tsp.)
- 1 oz. shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add mustard greens, and blanch 3 minutes. Remove greens to colander with slotted spoon. Add rotini to
water, and cook according to package directions.
2. Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add greens, increase heat to medium, and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Drain pasta, and reserve 1/4 cup cooking water. Stir pasta and reserved cooking water into mustard green mixture, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce is hot and bubbly. Serve 1 cup pasta sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, if desired.