Whole-wheat Spaghetti with Sautéed Leeks, White Beans, and Walnuts
30 minutes or fewer
Although few Italian
cooks would ever serve this much sauce over a plate of pasta, avid vegetable lovers will appreciate the generous serving of chunky leek-and-white bean sauce.
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts chopped (6 cups)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 115-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 12 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti
- 3 oz. crumbled feta cheese (¾ cup), optional
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted walnuts
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leeks, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes; sauté 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown. Stir in beans, vegetable broth, and garlic. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain. Divide spaghetti among 4 bowls or plates. Spoon sauce over each serving of pasta, and sprinkle with feta cheese, if desired, and walnuts.