Wholesome Wheat Bread
Enjoy a warm slice of this “great eight” whole grain bread to get protein, calcium, vitamins—plus fiber. This recipe makes 2 fragrant, sturdy loaves.
- 3 cups warm water
- 3 Tbs. dry yeast
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 6 to 6 ½ cups unsifted whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 cup nonfat milk powder
- 4 Tbs. margarine, melted
- Mix water, yeast, honey and oil in large bowl. Sift together 6 cups flour, salt and milk powder; stir into yeast mixture. Add remaining 1?2 cup flour if dough is too sticky. Cover bowl, and let sit in warm place 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 9×5-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dust work surface with flour, turn out dough and knead well 10 minutes, adding extra flour if it becomes sticky. Form into 2 loaves, and place in loaf pans. Let rise in warm place 15 minutes.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until golden. (After 40 minutes, check to see if crust is golden enough; if so, cover loaves with foil to prevent over-darkening.) Remove from pans, brush tops with melted margarine and cool on racks.
ALSO PER SERVING: 73mg calcium; 2mg iron; 30 IU vitamin d; 0.2mcg vitamin b12; 2mg zinc