Wild Rice Salad with Cranberries and Mint
30 minutes or fewer
Elliott Prag, a cooking instructor at New York’s Natural Gourmet Institute, offers a culinary history lesson with this recipe. It calls for wild rice, dried cranberries, and maple syrup—all of them indigenous to North America.
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbs. grated orange zest
- 2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 10.5-oz. pkgs. fully cooked wild rice
- ½ cup pine nuts (4 oz.)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (2 oz.)
- ½ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced (¼ cup)
Whisk together oil, orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup, and mustard in large bowl. Add rice, pine nuts, cranberries, mint, and green onions, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
November/December 2008 p.38