Wild Rice with Glazed Carrot and Tomato Ragoût
Nutty, chewy wild rice makes this simple dish special. We’ve called for extra-firm silken tofu, but you could also use your favorite baked tofu or sliced soy sausage in the sauce.
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
- ⅔ cup wild rice or wild rice blend
- 6 oz. extra-firm silken tofu, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 cup peeled baby carrots, sliced lengthwise
- 9 cherry tomatoes, halved (⅔ cup)
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Heat 1 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned, turning once. Transfer to plate.
3. Add remaining 2 tsp. oil to skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Add carrots to skillet, and cook 10 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and fennel seeds, and simmer 2 minutes, or until liquid is thickened and reduced, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved tofu; cook 1 minute, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve over rice garnished with additional parsley.