Wilted Spinach Salad with Asian Pears, Blue Cheese, and Pecans
30 minutes or fewer
Crisp Asian pears, tangy blue cheese, and bitter greens are the star ingredients in this wilted spinach salad.
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced (¼ cup)
- 1½ Tbs. pear vinegar or unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups spinach leaves, trimmed
- 1½ cups torn frisée, escarole, or radicchio
- 1 Asian pear, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup toasted pecan pieces
- 3 Tbs. crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
1. Bring small pot of water to a boil. Add shallot, and blanch 20 seconds. Drain, and toss with vinegar in serving bowl. Add spinach, frisée, pear, pecans, and 2 Tbs. cheese; toss to combine.
2. Heat oil in small skillet until very hot. Pour over salad, and toss with tongs to wilt greens. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tbs. cheese over salad.
November/December 2010 p.52