Wilted Spinach Salad with Nuts and Cheese
30 minutes or fewer
Salty feta, sweet golden raisins, tart lemon, and buttery pine nuts make every bite of this one-bowl meal a taste and textural surprise. You can make it even easier by spiking a prepared salad
dressing with feta, dried cranberries, and onion.
- 1 Tbs. pine nuts
- 4 oz. baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- Pinch sugar
- 2 Tbs. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbs. golden raisins or dried cranberries
- 2 tsp. minced red onion
1. To make Salad: Put pine nuts in small microwave-safe bowl, and heat on high 30 seconds. Stir, then heat 30 seconds more, or until golden brown. Set aside.
2. Place spinach in large microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 1 minute. Toss spinach, then microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute more, or until wilted.
3. To make Dressing: Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and sugar. Stir in cheese, raisins, and red onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over spinach, and toss to coat. Adjust seasonings, then sprinkle with pine nuts, and serve.
April 2006 p.82