Winter Vegetable Medley with Paella-Style Orzo
30 minutes or fewer
Good-quality saffron is the key to this dish. Shop at a reliable source such as a gourmet store or online spice purveyor, and choose brands that indicate where the saffron was harvested. Kashmiri, Persian, and Spanish saffrons are some of the best.
- 2 ¾ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. saffron threads
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire-roasted whole tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved, and tomatoes halved
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- 2 cups large cauliflower florets
- 8 green onions, each cut into thirds
- 1 cup large broccoli florets
1. Bring broth to a simmer in saucepan. Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, saffron, and tomato liquid. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and keep hot.
2. Coat large skillet or 8-qt. Dutch oven with cooking spray, add oil, and heat over high heat. Add tomatoes, sear 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned and dry, and transfer to plate. Add bell pepper, sear 2 to 3 minutes, and transfer to same plate.
3. Sprinkle orzo into skillet, and stir 30 seconds. Stir in broth and peas, and reduce heat to medium. Arrange cauliflower florets on top of orzo in pot. Arrange green onions, tomatoes, and bell pepper pieces around cauliflower; cover, and simmer without stirring, 11 minutes. Scatter broccoli over vegetables, remove pot from heat, and let stand, covered, 10 minutes, or until orzo has absorbed all liquid and broccoli is crisp-tender.
November 2013 p.30