Yellow Lentil Dal
30 minutes or fewer
In India, dal is the term used for all dried legumes, but it has also come to refer to a simple, nourishing stew-like preparation served with rice or flat bread. This recipe can be made with any type of lentil, just increase the cooking time 10 to 15 minutes if using black or green lentils.
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 3 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 ½ cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups yellow lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes, and sauté 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, and salt, and sauté 1 minute more.
2. Add lentils, vegetable broth, 2 cups water, and turmeric. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.