Yellow Split Pea Dal
You can easily master this classic Indian
dish in a rice cooker. If your cooker comes with a steamer basket, try steaming fresh cauliflower or broccoli to accompany the dal.
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
- 1½ cups dried yellow split peas
- 1 lemon, juiced (2 Tbs.)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, for garnish, optional
1. Set rice cooker setting to “sauté” (or similar), and preheat 2 to 3 minutes. Add coconut oil, and heat 1 minute more. Add onion, garlic, and carrots, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute more.
2. Adjust rice cooker setting to “slow cook” (or similar). Pour in 4 cups water, stir in split peas, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours, or until peas are soft. Thin dal with water, if desired. Serve drizzled with lemon juice, and garnish with cilantro (if using).
January/February 2014 p.44