Za’atar and Goat Cheese Tartines
30 minutes or fewer
Za’atar adds so much flavor to this tartine you could easily skip the cheese.
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced (2 cups)
- 2 cups wild arugula (look for very small leaves)
- 1 large shallot, minced (¼ cup)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 6 Tbs. Za’atar, divided
- 1 8-oz. log chèvre or fresh goat cheese
- 1 1-lb. loaf ciabatta or country French bread, cut into 16 slices
1. Preheat oven to broil. Toss together tomatoes, arugula, and shallot in large bowl. Add oil, lemon juice, and 1 tsp. Za’atar; toss to coat. Set aside.
2. Spread chèvre on bread slices, and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle each bread slice with 1 tsp. Za’atar. Broil 2 to 3 minutes, or until bread is crisp and Za’atar darkens.
3. Place 2 bread slices on each plate. Top each with 1/4 cup tomato-arugula mixture.
June 2012 p.64