Ziti with Vodka Tomato Sauce
30 minutes or fewer
Sauté strips of yellow bell peppers, 1-inch pieces asparagus and cherry tomato halves, then add them to the sauce when combining with the pasta.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 5 fresh basil leaves, julienned, plus whole basil leaves for garnish
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 6 Tbs. vodka
- 28-oz. can whole plum tomatoes, drained and diced
- 12 oz. ziti
- 3⁄4 cup plain soy milk
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often, until onion has softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add julienned basil, pepper flakes and vodka and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook pasta until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Gradually stir soy milk into tomato mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add pasta and toss to coat. Serve hot, garnished with basil leaves.
Excerpted from Totally Dairy-Free Cooking, by Louis Lanza and Laura Morton (William Morrow, 2000).