Zucchini and Pepper Jack Quesadillas
30 minutes or fewer
These quesadillas get baked in the oven rather than heated in a skillet to avoid breaking fragile corn tortillas.
- 1 zucchini, coarsely grated (2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
- 2 Tbs. chopped pitted Spanish or black olives, optional
- 2 Tbs. lime or lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place zucchini in colander, sprinkle with salt, and let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Squeeze out water.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt, and sauté
5 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté
30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add zucchini, and sauté 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cheese, olives (if using), lime juice, and cilantro.
3. Use remaining 1 Tbs. oil to brush one side of each tortilla. Place 4 tortillas oil side down on baking sheet, and spread
1/4 cup filling on each. Top with remaining tortillas, oil side up.
4. Bake quesadillas 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, or until filling is hot and tortillas are lightly browned.
April/May 2014 p.35