Zucchini and Roasted Bell Pepper Soup
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium zucchini, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 medium red bell peppers, halved lengthwise
⅓ cup drained soft tofu
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 8 minutes. Add zucchini, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place pepper halves, skin side up, on broiler rack and broil until skins are blackened, about 9 minutes. (Alternatively, using tongs, roast peppers, skin side down, directly over gas flame.) Wrap in paper bag and refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes.
- Peel peppers. Transfer to blender or food processor, add tofu and puree until smooth. Remove to bowl and set aside.
- Transfer zucchini mixture (in batches if necessary) to blender or processor and puree until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan, then stir in roasted pepper puree, salt and pepper. Reheat over medium heat, thinning with more water as needed. Serve hot, garnished with basil if desired.
4 to 6 servings