Serve these with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. After trying the recipe as is, mix things up: Replace 1 cup quinoa with lentils, and season with curry powder to make Indian koftas. Or mix in more chopped parsley, and serve in pitas for quinoa falafel. Recipe by Kirstin Uhrenholdt.
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. tahini or nut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. red or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup finely grated sweet potato
- 1/2 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese, optional
- 2 Tbs. finely diced onion
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine egg, flour, tahini, and vinegar in bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, then mash together until mixture is firm enough to shape into cakes. Shape mixture into 1/4-cup patties with wet hands. Bake on prepared baking sheet 25 minutes, turning once, or until cakes are browned.