20 Vegetarian Dishes You Should Be Cooking on the Grill
Mains, desserts, and sides, all kissed by flame
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
No need to be a grill guru to take your cookout skills beyond veggie burgers. Here you’ll find 20 great recipes for flame-kissed dishes that’ll tempt your taste buds without taxing your culinary capabilities.
1. Grilled Caesar Salad Tartines
3. Grilled Watermelon Fillets with Watercress and Mint
4. Thai-Style Grilled Corn with Roasted Peanuts
5. Blue Cheese-Topped Mushroom Steaks over Arugula
8. Amaretto Peaches over Grilled Angel Food Cake with Honey Cream
9. Turkish Eggplant Kebobs with Garlic-Yogurt Sauce
10. Zucchini with Parmesan and Pine Nuts Halve 4 small zucchini; coat with cooking spray, and grill 15 minutes. Top with 1 1/2 oz. shaved Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, and 2 Tbs. toasted pine nuts.
11. Mixed Berry Compote Combine 3 cups fresh berries with 2 tsp. light brown sugar, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Cut 2 10-inch lengths heavy-duty foil, and spoon 1 1/2 cups berry mixture onto center of each foil sheet. Fold edges together to seal packets, and grill packets 5 minutes.
12. Sizzled Red Pepper Salad Cut 2 red bell peppers into 8 wedges each, and thread onto skewers. Coat with cooking spray, and grill 12 minutes. Transfer to bowl, and toss with 1 cup cooked chickpeas, 1/2 cup chopped fresh fennel, 1 Tbs. olive oil, and 2 tsp. lemon juice.
13. Grilled String Beans Thread string beans onto skewers (don’t crowd them too tightly). Brush with garlic oil; grill 4 minutes on each side.
14. BBQ Broccoli Toss 4 cups broccoli florets with 2 Tbs. garlic oil in bowl. Grill 6 minutes using a grid-style grill topper. Transfer broccoli to bowl, toss with 3 Tbs. prepared BBQ sauce, then grill 2 minutes more.
15. Baby Artichokes with Herbs Halve 6 baby artichokes, and brush with olive oil. Grill cut-side-down 6 minutes. Turn, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. each minced garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Grill 4 minutes more.
16. Sesame Sweet Potatoes Cut 3 large sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices; brush with 2 Tbs. toasted sesame oil. Grill 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender and browned.
17. Tequila-Lime Pineapple Whisk together 3 Tbs. tequila, 1 1/2 Tbs. agave nectar, 1 Tbs. lime juice, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper in bowl. Add 4 fresh pineapple rings, and marinate 2 hours. Grill 7 minutes on each side. Serve with reserved marinade.
18. Nectarine Halves with Goat Cheese and Pistachios Grill 4 pitted nectarine halves 5 minutes on each side. Top with 1 tsp. soft goat cheese, 1 Tbs. honey, and 2 tsp. toasted chopped pistachios.
19. Lemon-Basil Butternut Slices Cut peeled butternut squash into 1/4-inch-thick slices; coat with cooking spray. Grill 20 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 Tbs. olive oil, 1 Tbs. lemon juice, 8 basil leaves, and 3 Tbs. raisins.
20. Grilled Bananas with Dulce de Leche Halve 4 firm bananas lengthwise, with skin on. Brush cut sides with 1/2 tsp. lemon juice. Grill 5 minutes each side. Top 2 banana halves with 1/2 cup vanilla frozen yogurt and 1 Tbs. prepared dulce de leche.