Here’s a delicious way to showcase colorful bell peppers. If you prefer a spicier dish, add a minced fresh hot chile when adding the bell peppers.MEAL PLAN: Spoon the sausage-bell pepper mixture into small hero rolls and serve open-faced, garnished with some black olives and baby carrots. End the meal with sliced fresh pears topped with a dollop of low-fat vanilla yogurt or soy yogurt.
- 3/4 lb. soy Italian-style 'sausage' links, cut into thirds
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 6 medium bell peppers (3 each green and red, or 2 each green, red and yellow),
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 6 small hero rolls, split
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Set aside.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add "sausage" and cook, turning often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, reserved tomato liquid, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper and sugar until well combined. Cover and cook until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Spoon into hero rolls and serve open-faced.
- Calories: 485
- Carbohydrate Content: 73 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 256 mg