A background of turmeric-tinted rice brings out the gem-like colors of dried apricots, cranberries, and currants in this simple side dish.
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbs. chopped dried apricots
- 2 Tbs. chopped dried cranberries
- 2 Tbs. dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Combine turmeric and 2 1/4 cups hot water in bowl until turmeric dissolves.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté green onions 2 minutes. Add rice and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more. Pour turmeric water over rice, add bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until most of liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Fold in dried fruits, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in pistachios and lemon juice.
- Calories: 237
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 3 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g