30 minutes or fewer
Alaska resident Angela Wilde uses cooking and eating to get out of the house, despite the winter elements. Since fresh tomatoes are not in season in January, Wilde created this delicious soup using canned ones.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbs.)
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes with sweet onion
- 1 14-oz. can plain tomato sauce
- 4 oz. silken tofu, mashed (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 low-sodium vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped oregano
- 2 Tbs. chopped basil
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, tofu, bouillon cube and 3 cups water. Bring to a simmer, and add couscous, parsley, oregano and basil. Cook 5 minutes, or until couscous is tender. Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.
- Calories: 162
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 678 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g