Liddon recommends weighing the dry ingredients when baking gluten-free, so we’ve included those weights as well as volumes.
- 5 Tbs. virgin coconut oil, softened but not melted
- 1/2 cup plus 21/2 Tbs. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbs. (6 g) ground flaxseed meal
- 1 cup (130 g) arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup (70 g) blanched almond flour
- 3/4 cup (95 g) gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup (105 g) mini non-dairy chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- 6 Tbs. (45 g) sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup (75 g) natural cane sugar
- 1 Tbs. (13 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp. (4 g) xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp. (2 g) salt Glaze
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbs. almond milk
- 1 Tbs. virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt or
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean, halved, seeds scraped from inside, pod reserved for another use
1 | To make Scones: Place sheet of parchment paper on counter. Spread coconut oil into 1/4-inch-thick layer on parchment with back of spoon, forming small rectangle. Freeze 1 hour, or until coconut oil is solid.
2 | Preheat oven to 425°F, and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
3 | Stir together almond milk and flaxseed meal in small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
4 | Whisk together remaining Scones ingredients in large bowl.
5 | Break up and chop frozen coconut oil into pea-size pieces. Stir coconut oil pieces into dry ingredients. Stir in almond milk mixture until dough is dry and shaggy. Knead dough with hands several times until dough comes together, adding more almond milk, if necessary. (Keep dough as dry as possible. Wet dough will spread too much when baked.)
6 | Shape dough into 11/2-inch-thick disk. Cut disk into 8 wedges, and place wedges 3 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake scones 11 to 13 minutes, or until golden around bottom edges. Cool on baking sheet 7 to 8 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
7 | To make Glaze: Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over scones.
- Calories: 420
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 23 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 396 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g