30 minutes or fewer
In Alsace, a province in the northeastern part of France, this cheese salad is served as a (very hearty!) first course. The large amount of parsley used adds a fresh, green flavor that brings out the creaminess of the cheese. Once youve tried it between two slices of bread, youll never think of cheese sandwiches in the same way again.
- 2 Tbs. red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups grated Gruyere or Emmenthaler cheese (about 8 oz.)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 12 slices crusty bread
Whisk together vinegar and mustard in medium bowl. Add oil and 2 Tbs. water, and whisk until combined. Stir in cheese, parsley and shallots, and toss until combined.
Spoon 1/3 cup cheese mixture onto each of 6 slices of bread. Garnish with lettuce and tomato, if desired, and top with remaining bread slices.
- Calories: 437
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 40 mg
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 638 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g