Roasted tomatoes, eggplant, and fresh mozzarella stack up with pesto-infused amaranth for a dish that’s filling, and fun.
1. Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, and brush with oil. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and remove seeds and ribs, but not stems. Season cavity of each tomato half with pinch of sugar, pinch of salt, and 3 drops balsamic vinegar. Drizzle 1/2 tsp. olive oil over each tomato half.
2. Score skin of eggplant with fork. Slice into 12 slices. Brush each slice on both sides with oil, place on baking sheet with tomato halves, and season with salt, if desired. Roast 15 minutes. Flip eggplant slices, and roast 15 minutes more, or until eggplant is browned and tender and tomatoes are wrinkled and lightly browned. Loosen eggplant slices, and cool veggies on pan 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
3. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in saucepan; stir in amaranth. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Cool 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Transfer to bowl, and stir in 1/4 cup pesto.
4. Line baking sheet with parchment, and brush with oil. Arrange tomato halves on parchment. Spoon 1 Tbs. amaranth mixture into each tomato, top with 1 slice eggplant, 1 slice mozzarella, and dab of remaining pesto. (You may have extra amaranth mixture.) Bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until warmed through.
5. To serve: divide salad greens among 4 plates, and top each serving with 3 tomato stacks.
- Calories 357
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 28 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 577 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g