No need for a pie pan to make a pretty French-style dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 tart, firm apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 Tbs. apricot jam
1. To make Dough: Pulse flours, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt in food processor until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture looks like coarse meal. With food processor running, add up to 1/4 cup cold water until dough just comes together. Shape dough into ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
2. To make Filling: Pulse almonds and confectioners’ sugar in food processor until combined. Add egg and almond extract, and process 1 minute, or until mixture is paste-like and nearly smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with foil.
4. Remove Dough from refrigerator, and unwrap, leaving plastic wrap beneath Dough. Place another sheet of plastic wrap on top of Dough. Roll Dough out into 9-inch square between sheets of plastic wrap. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap, invert Dough onto prepared baking sheet, and remove remaining sheet of plastic wrap. Spread almond mixture over Dough square, then top with 4 rows of overlapping apple slices, covering entire surface of galette. Bake 45 minutes, or until crust is golden.
5. Warm jam in small saucepan over low heat until melted. Strain through fine mesh strainer into small dish.
6. Cool galette 5 minutes, then brush with jam. Cut into 9 squares.
- Calories: 349
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 48 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 93 mg
- Sugar Content: 24 g