Apple Custard Pie with Oatmeal Crust
This lightly sweet dessert is a triple threat of oaty goodness, featuring oatmeal, oat flour, and oat milk.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The recipe will also work with all-purpose flour and regular milk. A dusting of cinnamon sugar when the pie comes out of the oven gives it a sweet sparkle and crunch.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbs.) vegan margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 3 small apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges each
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 8-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
To make Crust:
2. Stir together oats, oat flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl. Stir in margarine and 1/4 cup water until crumbly dough forms. Press dough into bottom and sides of prepared pie pan, moistening fingers with cold water, if necessary, to prevent sticking. Place pan on baking sheet, and bake 15 minutes, or until crust is light brown and bottom looks dry.
To make Filling:
3. Whisk together eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla in large bowl. Whisk in oat milk until smooth.
4. Arrange apple wedges on bottom of prebaked Crust. Pour Filling into Crust, and return to oven. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until Filling is set.
5. Stir together remaining 2 Tbs. sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over hot pie. Cool on wire rack.
- Calories 226
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 53 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 153 mg
- Sugar Content 21 g