- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, cored, finely diced apples (any baking or all-purpose variety)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar or Sucanat
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 cup soy milk or low-fat milk
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
In medium bowl, whisk egg well, then whisk in brown sugar until dissolved. Whisk in oil, then milk, until smooth. Set aside.
In large bowl, mix together flour, wheat germ, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice. Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until a smooth, stiff batter forms. Stir in apples and walnuts if desired.
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake until golden and toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes, then turn muffins out onto rack and cool completely.
- Calories: 133
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 20 mg