Charmingly old-fashioned, these wholesome bars pair the comforting flavors of apples and oats. Theyre the perfect snack to pack in a lunch box or enjoy with a cup of tea.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 3 cups peeled, chopped tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted, optional
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 9-inch square baking pan, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in mixing bowl. Using fork or fingertips, work in oil and cider until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Press about 1 1/2 cups oat mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with apples. Mix walnuts into remaining oat mixture, sprinkle evenly over apples and pat into even layer.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 100 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g