This Westernized spin on the traditional North African dish adds several layers of sweetness with the dried and fresh apricots and the raisins.
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 10-oz. box quick-cooking couscous
- 2 cups (1/2 lb.) broccoli florets, blanched
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 4 fresh apricots, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 1/2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil or more as needed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Heat vegetable stock in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook couscous according to package directions. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and spoon onto a serving platter.
Add broccoli florets, dried and fresh apricots, peanuts and raisins to couscous, and toss to mix well. Set aside.
Heat margarine and vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion until it starts to turn golden.
Add cinnamon, turmeric and chickpeas, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and spoon over couscous. Serve while hot.
- Calories: 610
- Carbohydrate Content: 91 g
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 360 mg
- Sugar Content: 25 g