This quick one-pot meal can be made with fresh or frozen fava beans and artichokes.
- 3 lbs. fava beans, shelled, or 3 cups frozen fava beans
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 lb. new potatoes, sliced
- 1 8-oz. pkg. frozen artichokes, thawed or 6 baby artichokes, trimmed and halved
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
If using fresh fava beans, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add beans and simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse until cool. Pinch off wrinkled skins with fingers and discard to reveal green beans inside. Set aside. (If using frozen favas, skip this step.)
Heat oil in deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, artichokes, carrots and salt, and cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Add wine, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Add favas, onions and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in mint and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Fat Content: 5.5 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 384 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g