Frozen artichoke hearts are superior in taste to canned.
- 2 tomatoes, one diced and one halved and thinly sliced
- 2 9-oz. pkg. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 15.5-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil 2-qt. gratin dish.
Toss diced tomatoes with artichoke hearts, scallions, 1 Tbs. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1/4 tsp. salt in bowl. Set aside.
Put beans, stock, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in food processor; purée. Line bottom of dish with half sliced sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and remaining pepper. Spread on bean mixture, add artichoke mixture and cover with potatoes; reserve 20 slices.
Arrange tomato slices and remaining sweet potato slices on top, overlapping edges. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with remaining oregano and salt. Dust with pepper. Cover.
Bake 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove cover, and sprinkle top with ground walnuts. Bake 15 minutes more, or until topping is golden brown. Wait 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 63 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 18 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 740 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g