Canned chickpeas and artichoke hearts are the quick-fix secrets to this sandwich spread, which tastes great combined with a crunchy cabbage slaw. Wraps can serve as a meal in themselves, but a fresh fruit salad is an appropriate accompaniment.
- 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped red onion
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
To make artichoke spread, in food processor or blender combine all artichoke spread ingredients and 2 tablespoons water. Process until mixture is almost smooth but retains some texture and is slightly thicker than hummus. If necessary, add water by teaspoonfuls to thin. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
In medium bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, pepper, yogurt, parsley, onion and 2 tsp. lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and mix well.
In large skillet, warm each tortilla over medium heat just until soft and flexible, about 1 minute per side. Spread some artichoke mixture over each tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch border. Top with cabbage mixture, dividing equally. Fold up one or both ends of tortilla over filling, then roll each sandwich into bundle. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 358
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 475 mg