Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The secret to cooking with artichokes is to use a light hand when adding seasonings so the unique flavor of the veggie comes through.
1. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until garlic turns gold. Stir in saffron and black pepper.
2. Add bell pepper and wine. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until wine is reduced by half. Add tomatoes, and cook 3 minutes more.
3. Stir in mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and 1 cup water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove lid, and cook off any excess moisture, if necessary. Stir in olives, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 174
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 373 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g