Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Flowering (aka ornamental) kale, which looks like a giant purple carnation, is worth seeking out for this salad, even if just a handful of the leaves are thrown in for color.
1. Place beans and 1/4 cup water in skillet, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, and cook 3 minutes, or until beans are just tender. Drain, and rinse under cold water to cool. Drain again.
2. Toss together beans, kale, bell pepper, and jicama in large bowl.
3. Whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and sambal oelek in separate bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour dressing over salad, and toss to coat. 4. Evenly divide salad among 4 bowls, and gently set tofu strips on each salad.
- Calories 241
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 470 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g