Kale stars in this cabbage slaw inspired by kimchee, a spicy condiment served in Korea. Enjoy this alone or as an accompaniment to marinated tofu and white sushi rice.
- 3/4 cup dry arame
- 6 cups shredded cabbage, green or savoy
- 5 cups shredded kale leaves
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions (white and light green parts), about 8
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. mirin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 Tbs. plus 3/4 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1/2 Tbs. minced jalapeno pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt
Place arame in medium bowl and fill with enough cold water to cover. Let soak 20 minutes.
In large bowl, combine cabbage, kale and carrots.
Make dressing: In small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Whisk until well blended.
Drain and rinse arame. Add arame to cabbage mixture, pour over dressing and toss to mix. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 107
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 313 mg