These tofu cakes are delicious served with steamed rice and sautéed sliced bok choy. For dessert make a fresh-fruit salad sprinkled with a little toasted coconut.
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds
- 15 oz. firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 5 egg whites
- 1/3 cup all-purpose, whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 3 scallions (green part only), thinly sliced; reserve 1 tsp. for sauce
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil, more if needed
- 3 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil or chili oil
- 1/2 tsp. rice vinegar
In small skillet, toast sesame seeds until golden brown, stirring often, 1 minute. Transfer to small plate and set aside.
Pat tofu dry with paper towel and place in medium bowl. Mash tofu with fork until it resembles chopped eggs.
Mix in egg whites, flour, ginger, scallions, peas, soy sauce and salt and white pepper to taste, until well blended.
In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
Add about 1/4 cup tofu mixture per cake to skillet, flattening with back of spoon to form small cakes. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, make sauce. In small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and reserved scallion.
To serve tofu cakes, sprinkle with sesame seeds and accompany with sesame-soy sauce on the side.
- Calories: 194
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 723 mg