Asparagus and Mushroom Gratin with Scallions
You can make this dish 1 day ahead; cover it in plastic or foil, and refrigerate it, then add the stock just before baking. …
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
You can make this dish 1 day ahead; cover it in plastic or foil, and refrigerate it, then add the stock just before baking.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 slices Italian bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tsp. minced fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. minced fresh basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup shredded regular or soy Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 375F. Oil 2-qt. gratin dish with 1 Tbs. oil.
Spread about 2 cups bread cubes in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with scallions and garlic. Layer mushroom slices over top, and season with herbs, salt and pepper. Arrange asparagus on top. Pour in vegetable stock. Sprinkle top of gratin with remaining bread cubes, and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Cover.
Bake about 30 minutes, or until tender. Uncover, and sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
- Calories 280
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 920 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g