Asparagus and Mushroom Stew
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. asparagus spears, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin julienne strips
- 1 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbs. water
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/3 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. fresh portobello or shiitake mushrooms, chopped
Place dried mushrooms in small heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and fresh mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender. Add sherry, salt and mushroom liquid.
Add asparagus, bell pepper and dried mushrooms. Simmer, uncovered, until asparagus are tender, about 7 minutes. Add dissolved cornstarch and vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer until it thickens slightly, about 30 seconds.
Serve asparagus mixture over quinoa.
- Calories 132
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 26 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g