For entertaining ease, make this main dish a day ahead, then pop it into the oven an hour before you sit down to eat.
- 1 leek, white part finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 lb. fresh asparagus (36 to 40 medium spears), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 oz. white mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
- 4 cups skim milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1 1-lb. loaf crusty bread, cut into cubes
- 16 oz. soft goat cheese log, sliced
1. Coat skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add leek and garlic, and sauté 8 minutes, or until soft. Add asparagus and mushrooms, and cook 4 minutes more, or until asparagus is tender. Set aside.
2. Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, and basil in bowl. Set aside.
3. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of bread cubes in single layer in baking dish. Spoon asparagus mixture over top, and cover with remaining bread cubes. Arrange goat cheese rounds over top. Pour egg mixture over all, pressing down with spoon to submerge bread. Cover, and chill 2 hours, or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake bread pudding 45 minutes, or until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 370
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 119 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 594 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g