“Growing up, my mother made a recipe similar to this one using canned asparagus—typically, it was for a family gathering or special occasion,” explains Marie Valdes. “For this contest, I set out to re-create the forgotten family favorite but used fresh asparagus, and then added my own twist with the lemon Parmesan corn, which I thought was a great accompaniment to the asparagus.”
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 4 large Davidson’s Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian-style seasoned
- 1/2 cup grated BelGioioso Vegetarian Parmesan, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. Eden Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Eden Organic Safflower Oil
- 1 15.25-oz. can corn, drained
- 2 green onions, green parts thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. Eden Foods Organic Basil
- 2 Tbs. BelGioioso Vegetarian Parmesan
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 | To make Patties: Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
2 | Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and asparagus.
3 | Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop 1 heaping Tbs. of batter into oil for each patty, and cook 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate.
4 | To make Corn: Pour off all but 1 tsp. oil. from skillet. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add corn, green onions, and basil, and sauté 5 minutes, or until corn is browned. Transfer to bowl, and stir in cheese and lemon juice.
5 | Serve Patties topped with Corn.
- Calories: 356
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 197 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 1437 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g