Avocado and grapefruit are a common salad combination in Spain and France. Here, they’re paired with shaved fennel and pea sprouts for crunch.
- 1 orange
- 1 ruby red or oro blanco grapefruit
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbs. avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 large avocados, peeled, halved, and pitted
- 1 fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup pea sprouts
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped shallots
1. Grate 1/4 tsp. zest from orange; set aside. Peel orange and grapefruit; remove pith. Using small, sharp knife and working over bowl to catch juice, cut between membranes of fruit to release segments.
2. Whisk together vinegar, fennel seeds, salt, reserved 1/4 tsp. orange zest, and 1 Tbs. juice from orange and grapefruit in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place 1 avocado half on each of 4 plates. Drizzle 1 tsp. dressing over each. Toss sliced fennel, sprouts, and shallots with enough remaining dressing to coat. Spoon fennel mixture atop avocado halves, mounding and overflowing slightly. Arrange reserved grapefruit and orange segments around avocados. Drizzle more of remaining dressing over orange and grapefruit segments.
- Calories: 332
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 172 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g