Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Avocado and grapefruit are a common salad combination in Spain and France. Here, they’re paired with shaved fennel and pea sprouts for crunch.
1. Grate 1/4 tsp. zest from orange; set aside. Peel orange and grapefruit; remove pith. Using small, sharp knife and working over bowl to catch juice, cut between membranes of fruit to release segments.
2. Whisk together vinegar, fennel seeds, salt, reserved 1/4 tsp. orange zest, and 1 Tbs. juice from orange and grapefruit in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place 1 avocado half on each of 4 plates. Drizzle 1 tsp. dressing over each. Toss sliced fennel, sprouts, and shallots with enough remaining dressing to coat. Spoon fennel mixture atop avocado halves, mounding and overflowing slightly. Arrange reserved grapefruit and orange segments around avocados. Drizzle more of remaining dressing over orange and grapefruit segments.
- Calories 332
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 172 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g