Avocado adds wonderful substance to this refreshing salad flavored with lime and a hint of cumin. If desired, substitute jicama, peeled and cut into sticks, for the cucumber slices.Meal plan: Pick up a variety of grilled vegetables in the deli section of your supermarket. Heat the vegetables and serve with warmed flour tortillas, salsa, shredded Monterey Jack cheese if desired, and lime wedges to make fajitas to serve alongside the salad.
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice (1 large lime)
- 1/2 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 small tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice (21/2 cups)
- 2 ripe medium avocados, cut into 3/4-inch dice (11/2 cups)
- 3 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 large head Boston lettuce, torn into large pieces (8 cups)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced diagonally (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped cilantro
In medium nonmetallic bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Add tomatoes, avocados, scallions and garlic. Using rubber spatula, gently fold to combine. Season to taste with pepper.
In large bowl, whisk together oil, cumin, remaining tablespoon lime juice and 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Add lettuce and toss. Season to taste with pepper. Divide lettuce among plates. Top each with mound of avocado mixture. Top with cucumber slices, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
- Calories: 147
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 352 mg