The sweetish late-harvest Riesling vinegar in the Tarragon Vinaigrette recipe is a key element to the success of this salad, so make no substitutes. Look for the vinegar at gourmet food stores or other specialty food stores.
- 1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned of grit
- 1/2 cup chopped green garlic or 4 cloves regular garlic
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 30 baby carrots, peeled and blanched
- 1/2 lb. watercress, well rinsed
- 3 Belgian endives, sliced
- 1 cup Tarragon Vinaigrette (see recipe)
Make a confit of mushrooms and garlic by braising them slowly in olive oil for 15 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
When cool enough to combine, add remaining ingredients to mushrooms and garlic, toss and serve.