This salad has a subtle sweetness that offsets the spiciness of the other dishes. The recipe makes more vinaigrette than you’ll need, but you can store the remainder in the fridge for use on other salads.
- 4 pitted Medjool dates (1/4 cup)
- 1 large shallot, diced (1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. champagne vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or Aleppo pepper
- 4 oranges
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (3 cups)
- 6 radishes, quartered
- 5 oz. baby romaine leaves (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
1. To make Vinaigrette: Place all ingredients in blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. To make Salad: Trim ends of oranges all the way to juicy flesh. Stand 1 orange upright, and remove peel and pith with serrated paring knife, following curve of fruit from top to bottom. Cut sections along membranes as if slicing out a wedge, releasing them one by one. Place in bowl, and set aside.
3. Toss fennel with 3 Tbs. Vinaigrette in large bowl until well coated. Add radishes and orange segments, toss gently, and let stand 5 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Add romaine leaves, and toss to combine. Top with chopped toasted almonds.
- Calories: 124
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 27 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g