Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
The stuffing for these baked apples can be made up to two days ahead.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring broth and 1 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Add wild rice, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 50 minutes. Stir in quinoa, and cook 20 minutes more, or until most of water is absorbed.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and sauté 7 minutes. Stir in sage and wild rice, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, and stir in cream cheese. Fold in cranberries.
3. Halve apples through stem, and scoop out core and seeds, leaving 1/4-inch-thick wall around sides. Fill apple halves with 1/3 cup rice mixture. Place in 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Fill baking dish with 1 cup water, cover tightly with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Uncover apples, sprinkle with Cheddar (if using), and bake 15 minutes more, or until apples are soft and tops are beginning to crisp.
- Calories 184
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 141 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g