This hearty meal is pure comfort food, and it comes together in minutes. And dont let the name fool you: This is not the old-fashioned kind of sweet baked beans cooked with maple syrup over long, slow heat. Best of all, this dishs robust flavors will please every family member, especially when highlighted with a dollop of barbecue sauce or a spicy tomato sauce. Offer a tossed green salad as an accompaniment, and end the meal with chocolate chip cookies and ice cream or something homier such as a wedge of gooey chocolate cake.
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- About 2 cups canned navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch (about 1/2 lb.) spinach, rinsed and julienned
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. cajun seasoning or similar spicy seasoning, or to taste
- 5 Tbs. soy "bacon" bits
- 4 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Layer sliced mushrooms on bottom of dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs to form crust. Stir together beans, spinach, onion, cheddar cheese and seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Spoon into baking dish. Combine “bacon” bits and Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle over top.
Bake beans for 20 minutes, remove from oven, garnish with parsley and serve.
- Calories: 400
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1850 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g