Traditional chiles rellenos are dipped in a light egg batter and fried. Here, we keep the same crisp outside but take away extra fat and calories by baking the stuffed, breaded chiles.
1. To make Chiles Rellenos: Roast and peel chiles. Cut 3-inch slit in each chile, and remove seeds with spoon.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add zucchini and corn, and cook 5 minutes more. Season with salt, if desired. Transfer to bowl, and stir in cheese.
3. Stuff each chile with 1/2 cup zucchini mixture. Secure closed with toothpicks.
4. Whisk egg with 1/2 cup water in bowl. Spread breadcrumbs on plate.
5. Dip chiles in egg wash. Coat with breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet, and bake 15 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
6. To make Sauce: Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, chili powder, and cumin, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft and spices are fragrant. Add tomatoes, and simmer 10 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with spatula or wooden spoon. Transfer to blender, add chipotle chile, and blend on low speed until Sauce is smooth. Serve Chiles Rellenos with Sauce, cilantro, lime wedges and sour cream.
- Calories 265
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 41 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 473 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g