With a blending of coconut, pineapple and macadamia nuts, this pie takes its cues from the tropics. Be sure to squeeze out any excess juice from the pineapple shreds, or it may dilute the filling. A quick freezing of the filling mix firms it up fast.
- 1 pkg. instant coconut-flavored pudding mix
- 1 3/4 cups nonfat milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 prepared crumb pie shell
- 1 3/4 cups canned shredded pineapple
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed macadamia nuts as garnish
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut as garnish
- 2 Tbs. diced crystallized ginger, or more as desired, for garnish
Preheat oven to 450F.
Mix instant pudding with milk and vanilla extract, and pour into prepared pie shell. Put in freezer immediately.
Drain pineapple, and reserve juice for another use. Squeeze excess juice from shreds, and put shreds in baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar, and bake for 15 minutes, or until sugar bubbles. Remove from oven.
Take firmed pudding mixture from freezer, spoon pineapple mixture over top and garnish with macadamia nuts, coconut shreds and crystallized ginger.
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 450 mg
- Sugar Content: 35 g