We all love crunchy, fried egg rolls but wish they were a little lower in fat. This version produces a crisp bite-sized roll using just a bit of oil. For maximum crunch, assemble these just before you plan to cook them.
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch plus some extra
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 26 won ton skins
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Hot Mustard Sauce
- 2 Tbs. powdered yellow mustard
- 1 Tbs. water
- 1 tsp. honey or rice syrup
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
1. To make Egg Rolls: Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, and 1 tsp. cornstarch in bowl to blend; set aside.
2. Warm large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat with cooking spray. Add cabbage and carrots; cook, stirring, until cabbage is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, water chestnuts, edamame, peanuts, and oil, stirring just until heated, about 1 minute. Add cornstarch mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to plate; cover, and chill about 20 minutes to slightly cool.
3. To make Hot Mustard Sauce: Whisk all ingredients in bowl to blend, and transfer to dipping bowls.
4. To assemble Egg Rolls: Place several won ton skins on work surface, with a corner of each facing you (in diamond shape). Brush top corner of each with egg. Put 1 Tbs. filling in center of each; fold bottom corner, then both side corners over filling, and roll up. Place egg rolls on baking sheet dusted with cornstarch, and cover loosely with plastic as you go.
5. Preheat oven to 425°F. Put second baking sheet in oven for 2 minutes. Remove it, coat with cooking spray then quickly put egg rolls on it. Spray rolls, and return to hot oven.
6. Bake 10 minutes, flip rolls, and bake 10 minutes more, or until golden brown. Serve with mustard sauce.
- Calories: 46
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 80 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g